Meeting Room Use Policy
Meeting Room Use Policy
These guidelines and policies attempt to provide fair and equitable access to the William Jeanes Memorial Library and Nicholas & Athena Karabots Center for Learning facilities by balancing the needs of the community with those of the library.
The Willaman Community Commons, Board Room, and Study Rooms exist primarily for library and library-related programs and meetings. After these needs are met, these spaces are available to businesses and nonprofit groups in accordance with this policy, as established by the library’s board of directors. Use of the Willaman Community Commons, Board Room, or Study Rooms by any business or nonprofit group does not constitute an endorsement of the user’s policies or beliefs by the library staff or the library board.
- Events sponsored by the library have first priority.
- Study Rooms are available on a first come, first served basis. Reservations are not accepted for the Study Rooms.
- Should the Board Room not be in use by the library, it may be used by individuals and small groups on a first-come, first-served basis, provided they check at the Front Desk first, and vacate the room if asked by a Library staff for an unscheduled reason.
- All users are asked to clean the whiteboards after use. Erasers and wipes are available at each Circulation Desk.
- In order to better accommodate the needs of the community and library users, attendance at non-library meetings is limited to the capacity as follows:
- Willaman Community Commons: 25
- Board Room: 15
- Study Room 1: 4
- Study Room 2: 4
- Nonprofit groups may apply to use the Willaman Community Commons or the Board Room without charge, understanding that no admission fees are to be charged by those sponsoring such gatherings. Good will donations are acceptable.
- With the permission of the Library Director, at her/his sole discretion, nonprofit groups may impose a registration fee for standardized training classes as required, for example, by the Red Cross and other organizations.
- Although the library does not impose a user fee on nonprofit groups, contributions are welcome and will be gratefully acknowledged.
- For-profit businesses or groups also may reserve these rooms, but will be charged a user fee. Here, too, such businesses or organizations cannot charge an admission fee or be paid by the attendees, such as with tutoring. The library will charge for-profit entities a user fee in accordance with the following schedule:
- Willaman Community Commons: $75, for a period of up to 3 hours; $100 for 4+ hours
- Board Room: $50, for a period of up to 3 hours; $75 for 4 + hours.
- The for-profit user fee is payable to the William Jeanes Memorial Library, and is due at the time of application. Funds will be returned in the event that the application is not approved.
- The Willaman and Board rooms may not be reserved earlier than 30 days in advance. Meeting rooms may not be reserved for more than a 3-hour block without the written permission of the Library Director. Where a user fee is charged, the Library Director, at his/her discretion may impose an additional charge for extended use.
- Gatherings may be scheduled only during regular library hours of operation. All meetings must conclude 15 minutes prior to the library’s closing time and all attendees must exit by the library’s normal closing time.
- Room-use requests must be made in advance by completing the required application and submitting it to the Circulation Supervisor. All requests will be reviewed in the order of receipt of the signed and completed application. Interested users can download the form from the library’s website, jeaneslibrary.org, or continue to page 4 of this document.
- 24-hour notice is required for cancellation, with the exception of inclement weather. In the event of a weather-related closing, the library will not remain open to accommodate meeting room use. The organization/business is responsible for checking the library’s website and/or telephone greeting for news of a weather-related closing, and for notifying its members/guests that the event has been cancelled.
- The use of the catering kitchen will be allowed with prior approval; there is no fee associated with the use of the catering kitchen, which is located on the lower level, adjacent to the Willaman Community Commons. The kitchen offers counter-top space and a sink (no cooking or refrigeration equipment).
- Any organization/business using the Willaman Community Commons, Board Room, or Study Rooms assumes responsibility for any damage to library property. This includes but is not limited to tables, chairs, computers, and AV equipment used in these rooms.
- Meeting rooms must be left debris-free after each function. Users must address any spills, food refuse must be sealed in plastic trash bags, and table tops must be clean. Janitorial fees, if any occur, shall be the responsibility of the user. The library will supply the use of a vacuum and cleaning supplies.
- The library staff is not at the disposal of the group. It is the responsibility of the user organization/business to provide any necessary equipment if it is not available in the meeting rooms.
- The organization/business is responsible for room set up, including tables and chairs. Extra tables and chairs are available, and with advance notice, library staff will provide access.
- At the conclusion of the meeting, the organization/business must return the room to the set-up it was in when they arrived.
- Smoking and alcohol use are prohibited, as is the use of flame in candles or burners.
- The library reserves the right to limit use to those organizations/businesses whose activities will in no way interfere with normal library operations or programs.
- The library’s board of directors reserves the right to revoke permission to use the meeting rooms.
- Any advertisement, flyer, press release, or other posting, etc., that mentions the Library must be approved by the Library Director.
- The name, address, and phone number of all sponsoring organizations/businesses must appear on the application form and on any flyers or advertisement.
- Decorations must not damage library ceilings, walls, woodwork or furniture. Decorations mounts must be approved by the Library Director in advance.
- The organization/business must furnish adequate insurance against bodily injury and property damage. The insurance certificate must name the William Jeanes Memorial Library, its board members, employees, and volunteers as additional insured on the policy, and include a hold-harmless agreement from the issuer. Any exceptions to this requirement must be cleared with the Library Director and/or the library board of directors. The certificate of insurance should display limits of at least $500,000 for each occurrence and $1,000,000 in the aggregate. Organizations/businesses that reserve and use the Willaman Community Commons or Board Room are subject to the scrutiny of the library staff at all times and agree to abide by any and all policies and procedures implemented by the William Jeanes Memorial Library.
- The library board and staff do not assume any liability for groups or individuals sponsoring or attending a meeting/event at the library.
- Any violation of the terms enumerated above shall be sufficient cause for revocation of permission to use the facilities, and denial of any future request.