The History of William Jeanes Memorial Library
The original home of the library was a single room in the William Ambler House in Plymouth Meeting. In 1926 Mary Jeanes Miller donated $75,000 as seed money to finance a new library in memory of her first husband William Jeanes. It took awhile but in 1935 the library was finally relocated to a new building on the grounds of the Friends Meeting House in Plymouth Meeting. A Friends of the Library group was formed in 1950 to help with sustainable funding of the library. The library continued to grow and soon outgrew its second location.
Recognizing that a larger space was necessary, a building-fund drive was undertaken. Funds were raised from community supporters and a state grant was procured. A new library was opened in 1971 at the present location, 4051 Joshua Road.
After many years of constant use, the addition of collections beyond books, an increased number of program offerings, and additional public access technology, the library needed more space. A building committee was formed, consultants hired, and fund raising began in earnest.
Nicholas and Athena Karabots and the Karabots Foundation stepped forward as major donors. With enough proceeds secured and guaranteed, plans became reality. This time instead of moving, a 7,000 square foot addition was added to the existing library and the existing 11,000 square feet was renovated. Naturally the library was closed to the public during the building process.
So as not to disappoint the community and leave them without a library, a temporary library was opened on Harts Lane. It was tight quarters but the staff continued to offer popular programs and resources.
A ribbon cutting was held on May 23, 2012 and the library once again was open to the public on Joshua Road.